5 Lessons Learned After Creating Marketing Youtube Content For 2 Years + (148,000 views later...)

What is up guys,

Kyrill Krystallis here with another one!

In this post, I wanted to go over the lessons I’ve personally learned after creating Youtube content for approximately 2 years now.

For those unaware, I run the Inside Insight Youtube channel where we share everything marketing & growth hacking related.

Below you’ll see some stats to showcase where I’ve taken the channel up to this point:

The beginning of it all:

The first video I ever officially published was on November the 2nd 2019, and in it I showcased how to scrape Google search results through the use of Phantombuster and SEOQuake.

Over the past 2 years, this video has hit 22k views and has netted me approx. 233 subs.

I had no major ambitions in mind when creating the video, I just knew that others might find it of value and that it could potentially grow in views if I ranked it on the right keywords.

The exact same process ensued for an additional 100 videos, bringing us to where we are now…

148,000 views in.
8200 hours of total watch time.
3.1K subs.
and a total AdSense pay-out of 400 euros…

Lesson 1: Small is ok if you’re in B2B… (or are hyper-niched)

The first lesson is that you don’t necessarily need a “giga-channel” with millions of subs to make a difference in both your personal brand & your business.

Hyper-niching yourself whilst staying competent & consistent also does the trick quite well.

If you manage to do this in a high-margin B2B space then it becomes EVEN better.

The reason behind this is that in B2B one deal can make or break a year, whereas in B2C (e-commerce for example) more volume is required.

The channel is monetized by both the marketing agency & the growth hacking bootcamp which are both adequate in margins & are relatively hyper-niched as most of what they do revolves around lead gen.

Lesson 2: Youtube’s algorithm might not love you, but your community will.

Youtube runs on 2 algorithms, the search & the trending algorithms.

The search one is relatively simple and is easy to crack with tools like VidIQ or Tubebuddy.

The trending one is a little more complex.

Personally speaking, as opposed to doubling down on cracking the trending algorithm, I’ve instead focused on building a community around my content.

This in turn allowed me to build somewhat of a strong following, whilst ALSO giving me MY OWN distribution channel for any of the content, products & services I ever produce.

Meaning that even if Youtube’s trending algorithm doesn’t like my content, my community most likely will.

Over the past 2 years, I’ve built the growth hacking community that you’re reading this post on and numerous Whatsapp & Facebook groups populated with marketeers from a wide array of industries that all watch our content.

Example of Whatsapp group :point_up_2:t5:

Lesson 3: It’s ok to not post content everyday…

This lesson applies to thought-leadership-based channels that either teach something or show how something can be done.

I don’t think this applies to entertainment channels that much.

But…

I generally follow the practice of posting whenever I have something worth posting…

I feel as though the practice of posting DAILY will only saturate my videos UNLESS I have DAILY content worth posting.

This is more of an opinion, of course, but it makes sense to me considering that the channel is primarily built on instructional “how-to” videos.

Lesson 4: Always experiment with other content formats…

Most of our videos are usually screen share-based videos where we showcase how to set up a certain marketing campaign, warm up your emails domains for cold email outreaches, etc.

But recently, I started experimenting with other content formats in an attempt to spice things up.

Some of the new formats that I’ve embraced and am planning to continue with are:

• Podcasts with other founders.
  • Long-form educational courses released for FREE.
  • Video essays on Marketing.

I feel as though constant content experimentation is important because it not only increases your competence as a content creator but ALSO spices things up from a content creation process (which in many cases can get dull & boring).

Lesson 5: Invest in the equipment.

Investing in the equipment is EXTREMELY important, especially when you consider the fact that there are other content creators filming content on YOUR topics in 4K resolutions with pro podcast mics.

Who do you think you’re audience will listen to?

Them?

Or your bootstrapped 1-megapixel laptop webcam synced with your $20 Windows headset mic?

Equipment is the only entry barrier to the game, as it can be a little costly BUT it’s an absolute must.

And bootstrapping is possible!

Your iPhone can be used a 60 frame 1080p camera for both recording & streaming.

Check out apps like epoccam that allow you to stream directly to your laptop and use your iPhone as a camera for Streamyard, Zoom and other recording apps.

Good podcast quality mics can be purchased for as little as 100$ and they’ll likely last you 5-6 years…

That’s about that!

Will most likely update this post further as the journey continues!

Good content, Thanks for sharing as always kk

2 Likes

KK is king!

@Krystallis you should definitely start testing content on Linkedin Live!

I think you’ll perform pretty well, especially considering that your target market is pre-dominantly on Linkedin.

2 Likes

I am super interested to find out how you use those tools :slight_smile:
@Krystallis

1 Like

Consistency always Payback. I remember my Old Twitter Account, I work for 1 year consistent on it and it show Results which are Unbelievable .