I run 5 product hunt launches:
- 4 of them were no-frill launches, which required 5 hours of work
- For the last one I went all-in and spend the entire day answering every comment, burning 30 hours of work.
When I compared the result:
- No-frill launches generated 56% fewer website visits
- No-frill launches generated 30 visits per hour invested in the launch
- All-in launch generated 11 visits per hour invested in the launch
So from ROI perspective, no-frill launches are better.
Product hunt allows you to redo a launch after 6 months if you have some product updates. So for any early-stage startup, I would recommend running a no-frill launch first and relaunch 6 months later.
If you want more stats about it, I wrote a medium article on the topic.